United by a vision of a traditional academically rigorous school, a group of parents founded Twin Peaks Charter Academy (TPCA) in 1997. In fulfilling its mission, TPCA relies on specific guiding principles and founding philosophies. These principles and philosophies originated in the earliest meetings uniting over 100 founding families with the original Board of Directors. All proposals and decisions in policy and curriculum are measured against the mission statement, guiding principles, and original founding philosophies. Continuity of these philosophies depends on the board, administration, staff, and parents remaining faithful to and communicating the following:
TCPA is a Parent-Run School
- Parents are the child’s first teacher
- Parent must assist their child to ensure success in this rigorous academic environment
- Parent participation in committees and volunteer activities is critical to student success
- Volunteers in the classroom are directed by the teacher
- The school is governed by an elected parent board accountable to all parents
Academics are Key to the Success of TPCA
- We are dedicated to a content rich curriculum that builds cultural literacy
- Core knowledge is the basis of our K-8 educational philosophy
- Classical education is the cornerstone of our high school, building on core knowledge with the addition of rhetoric and college preparatory coursework.
- Reading is the foundation for all learning. We employ research-based strategies, with a focus on phonemic awareness, systematic phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
- Math is fundamental to understanding our world and the universe. We employ rote memorization of math facts and basic skills, development of number sense and problem solving skills, as well as the critical and logical thinking necessary for college and life.
- Analyzing and critically discussing classic literature and historic documents is critical to the development of articulate, contributing citizens.
- Extracurricular activities and electives support academic growth. While they do not replace academic fundamentals, they certainly enhance the educational experience.
TPCA Practices the Traditional Concept of Teacher-led Classes
- Core knowledge K-8 and classical education aligned with state standards dictate the curriculum, but not the teaching methodology
- Teachers will use a wide range of teaching methodologies to meet the needs of each student
- The primary role of the teacher is to teach
- Classes will not be student directed or include self-paced learning
- Cross grade grouping in math and reading is utilized as needed
- Technology should be used as a tool to augment the curriculum, not replace it
Character Education is Essential to the Development of Productive Citizens in an Ever-changing World.
- The principles of good character are integrated into daily instruction
- Teachers will develop lessons that incorporate the Six Pillars of Character in K-8 instruction, and a program such as “Character First” in high school instruction
Appropriate Student Discipline Ensures a Learning Environment Free From Disruptions
- Teachers and students will focus on classroom instruction and learning, not a disruptive student
- TPCA has instituted a strict three-strike discipline policy which protects the classroom learning environment while penalizing inappropriate behavior
TPCA Establishes High Expectations for Academics and Behavior within an Encouraging Environment
- We believe children will rise to the level of expectation placed upon them
- Real, concrete personal accomplishments enhance positive self-esteem. To that end, we offer opportunities for true academic success through hard work and mastery of a broad curriculum. A strict grading scale and required homework reinforce these high expectations.
The Academy has Instituted a Student Uniform Dress Code
- A student dress code reduces distractions and negative peer pressure
- A K-8 and high school dress code help create an environment which is conducive to learning while reinforcing our strong discipline code
TPCA relies on these guiding principles, which are reviewed and updated periodically, to steer and direct all decision-making.